Thursday 6 March 2014

She laughs at the days to come: dressmaking, a first


Hello lovelies! Thank you for joining me on my vintage style adventures in cyberspace.
I've been wanting to get back into blogging for a while and my new found love of sewing has provided me with the perfect opportunity so here you are.

A beautiful friend of mine introduced me to the circle skirt pattern a few months ago and I'm afraid I've caught the bug. I've now made 5 full circle skirts for myself and one for my littlest- it's all very exciting!

I then decided to teach myself to sew a dress! I'm so pleased I was born in the cyberspace generation as YouTube and other sewing blogs have been an invaluable resource. My inspiration has also come from the lovely Roisin at Dolly Clackett-  (so much so I've blatantly and completely stolen her blog idea with the 'Home Sewing Is Easy' fabric from Alexander Henry!)

I've been amazed and delighted with her handmade wardrobe so when the Sew Dolly Clackett challenge appeared it was all the push I needed to crack on and employ my new growth mindset & make my own vintage style dresses.


On Roisins advice, I've started with Butterick B5748, a retro mid century pattern.

I was amazed at how much you need to know before you can even understand the pattern envelope but I perservered, watch a LOT of YouTube clips and have successfully taught myself to tailor tack my darts, clip and trim, staystitch and understitch. (All these terms were complete gobbledygook about a month ago!) Who knew you stared by ironing the pattern??!! I also shamelessly used and abused my gorgeous friend Sam from The House of Webb who is a beautifully patient sewing Goddess.

In Dolly Clackett style I have chosen to name my dresses. This is the first one. 'The Cudge Dress'
I used a regular zip (bad idea- had to guess how to insert it so ended up top stitching it) but I'm delighted with the result. I only lined the bodice as I tend to wear circle skirts with a voluminous petticoat anyway. I do hate ironing and hemming a full circle skirt though.

Pictures of the first Sew Dolly Clackett entrant up soon, promise!
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please leave me a comment below! Xx